In my weak moments, our jobs and pace of life sometimes get the better of me. Especially when Husband is on a business trip and I’ve had a particularly hard day for whatever reason. Because stuff always goes wrong when he’s gone. Like weird stuff. Like the boys decide to be up every hour of the night because we’ve destabilized their family structure (mom of the year, right here), there’s a snake in the garage (I’m beyond terrified of snakes), the babysitter cancelled last-minute (not her fault), and I get a flat tire on the way to work (in the dark, in the rain). You know, Murphy’s Law and all that. Story of my life.
We work really hard to keep life as stable and innocent for the kids but it’s also life and sometimes the hard stuff is just a little bit too hard to keep it in until after the kids are in bed:
Saurus: Why your crying, Mama?
Me: Because, unfortunately, sometimes life is hard. And I miss your dad.
Saurus: Oh. I’m so sorry, Mama. I miss him too.
Me: I know, sweetheart. We all do.
Saurus: I’ll take care of you, Mama. You can get me a small dad costume and then I will dress up and pretend to be Dad and then you won’t miss him anymore.
Me, more tears: Oh, sweet boy.
If that doesn’t get you right in the feels, I don’t know what does. I mean, “A small dad costume”?! Somehow, with all of our faults and failures and the ridiculousness we’re putting them through, God is still gracious and the boys continue to show us how resilient and tough and thoughtful they are, more so than me.
I just cry and eat s’mores. And then proceed to have a much better day.
- 3/4 C butter, softened
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C pure cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 1/2 C flour
- 1/3 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 C milk chocolate chips
- 3/4 C mini marshmallows, divided
- 6 graham crackers, broken
- 3 Hershey bars, broken
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Cream butter and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and mix until well blended
- Stir in the chocolate chips and 1/2 C mini marshmallows.
- Fold in the broken graham crackers.
- Press into greased pan (I use a 9x9 and it's perfect but you could use a different size to get thicker or thinner bars) and bake at 325F for approx 25 mins or until top is golden and no longer shiny/dough-y (aka, it looks done)
- Remove from oven and immediately top with remaining 1/4C mini marshmallows and broken hershey bars.
- Turn oven to high broil and return bars to oven for 3-5 minutes or until marshmallows are toasted.
- Allow to cool (optional) and then cut and serve.
- After much research, I've determined that name-brand is the only way to go for the proper s'more: you really need the Honey Maid grahams, Jet Puffed marshmallows, and Hershey bars. It's worth it, in this case.