Saurus: Mama, there are lots of kinds of goats.
Me: I suppose.
Saurus: Yes. Billy goats, and baby kid goats, and mama goats, and horned goats, and mountain goats.
Saurus: How do mountain goats keep from sliding off the mountains?
Me: They were meant to live in the mountains so they have special hooves to help them grip.
Saurus: Special hooves?
Me: Yes. They have suction cups on the bottom that way they don’t fall off the mountain.
Saurus: Yeah! Or pirate hooks that way they can hang on.
Me: You’re probably right. Pirate hooks are much more logical.
And now all I’ve been able to picture for two days are a bunch of mountain goats as pirates. Not the worst mental image I’ve ever had. Probably going to file that happy thought away for when I’m having a bad day. Bam! Pirate Sheep! Next best thing to horchata cupcakes for cheering me up.
Vanilla horchata cupakes topped with cinnamon cream cheese frosting is a match made in fiesta heaven. And i’m really proud of myself for actually writing up the recipe before Cinco de Mayo. I am killing my to-do list. Just kidding. But I am eating horchata cupcakes and talking about sheep with pirate hooks for hooves so I’m pretty sure I’m coming out ahead.
- 1 2/3 C pure cane white sugar
- 3/4 C butter, room temperature
- 1/2 C sour milk*
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 1/2 C flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 C horchata
- 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 C butter, room temperature
- 3 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla
- horchata, to consistency
- Preheat oven to 350
- Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, alternating with the horchata. Stir just until combined.
- Pour into prepared cupcake tin and bake at 350 for approx 15 mins or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Set on wire rack to cool.
- Beat cream cheese and butter together until well-combined and fluffy (no lumps of either remain)
- Gradually sift in powdered sugar, beating well.
- Add cinnamon and vanilla and beat on high for 2 minutes or until very fluffy.
- If needed, adjust consistency with horchata or powdered sugar.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes
- *to make sour milk, whisk 2 tsp of white vinegar into 1/2C milk and set aside until soured (about 5 mins)