I’m a sucker for Nutella. And coffee. And when the two combine and there’s ganache filling involved, look out. I would say “look out, world” but it’d be more like “look out, sweatpants” because I won’t be doing anything except sitting around the house eating cupcakes til they’re gone.
These cupcakes might take over the world, though, but I doubt I’ll give them a chance to do even that. Straight to my belly, cupcakes. Or just cut out the middle man and go straight to my love handles. It’s worth it.
This is a perfect recipe to make for your valentine. Way better than a box of chocolates. You’re welcome.
(Also, I made these cupcakes and thought I was being original and awesome but before I post new recipes, I always do a quick google to make sure I haven’t accidentally plagiarized. Turns out I did. Inadvertently. But there are these and these and these glorious creations out there. And that was just the first page of google! This happens a lot. Fellow bloggers – what do you do when this happens?!)
- 1 3/4 C pure cane white sugar
- 1/4 C melted butter
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 C oil
- 1 3/4 C flour
- 3/4 dark cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C sour milk, room temperature*
- 1/2 C brewed coffee, room temperature
- Ferrero Rocher chocolates, for topping
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 1/3 C dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 C Nutella
- 1/2 C butter, room temperature
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 1/4 C Nutella ganache
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Beat sugar and butter together until fluffy. Add in eggs, vanilla, and oil, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually sift in dry ingredients, alternating with wet (sour milk and coffee), stirring gently just until incorporated.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full with batter and bake at 350F for approximately 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool while you make the filling and frosting (instructions below).
- When cool, remove centers of cupcakes and fill with Nutella ganache, then frost with Nutella frosting.
- Top with any ganache you have leftover and a Ferrero Rocher chocolate.
- Put chocolate chips and instant coffee in a medium-sized heat-proof bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat cream until just before boiling (very small bubbles are starting to appear), stirring constantly.
- Remove cream from heat and pour over chocolate. Whisk until smooth.
- Stir in Nutella and set aside to cool.
- Beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well.
- Add 1/4 C Nutella ganache and beat until fluffy.
- *To make sour milk, combine 3 Tbsp white vinegar with 1 C milk and set aside for a few minutes. It'll be gross but makes the best cupcakes.