Saurus drew a lovely family portrait of us all as caterpillars:
Me: That’s great, dude. But why did you draw it in yellow?
Saurus: Because I like lellow
Me: But it’s kind of hard to see on the white paper. Maybe you should have used a color with more contrast. Like blue or green.
Saurus: Or maybe your just need glasses, Mom.
Either way, it was a happy picture. Which immediately made me think of more happy things. Like tacos. I love tacos. I’ve never met a taco I didn’t love. Just like I’ve never met a boy child of mine that I didn’t love. Even when they’re just-turned-four and wittier than I.
Making tacos for a crowd isn’t as fun as it sounds though, so I came up with these years and years ago and they’ve been a HUGE hit at every party. And now I see them all over Pinterest so they’re no longer unique but I’m claiming I did them first. So there.
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2C shredded chicken breast
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2C shredded pepperjack cheese
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2C multicolored bell peppers, diced
- 2C shredded mexican cheese blend
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease as many muffin tins as you have.
- Toss shredded chicken with seasonings (chili powder, seasoned salt, paprika, cumin, and onion powder). Set aside.
- Cut 3-4" circles from the flour tortillas. I find it easiest to use a large biscuit cutter.
- Press tortillas into muffin tins.
- Drop in a pinch of pepperjack cheese.
- Add a small spoonful of black beans and bell peppers.
- Top that with a pinch of seasoned chicken.
- Cover with shredded mexican cheese.
- Bake at 400F for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is golden and melted.
- Top with sour cream, salsa, and guacamole
- The best part about these is that you can add anything you want - corn, jalepenos, ground beef, chorizo....possibilities are endless!