Every time something utterly ridiculous happens in our house, I make a mental note of it thinking, “I should add that to Saurus’ [non-existent] baby book” or “I need to add that to the next blog post”. The problem, however, is that mental notes and being 39 weeks pregnant don’t go very well together. Not even a little bit. Like instant WHOOSH and gone. Never to return. So I’ve been trying for two weeks now to think of what it was I wanted to write about in this post and still….I got nothing. Less than nothing. I start thinking about it and then 5 minutes later I’m looking at light fixtures on amazon with no recollection of how I got there. So there you go. Mama brain is a scary, scary place.
But what isn’t scary are these brownies – I can at least promise you that. We had BaconFest at work a few weeks ago (which consists of us basically eating piles of bacon and having a cardiologist on speed dial) so, me being me, I figured I’d find a way to mix the bacon with as much sugar as I possibly could. These things will melt your tastebuds off. But in a good way. A really good way. A really REALLY good way. Super rich brownie (from a mix because it’s awesome), layered with bourbon caramel, thick-cut bacon, and pecans. See? A really REALLY good way. Like eat with a spoon and fall into a fantastic food coma kinda way. You can thank me when you come out of it.
And if I happen to think of the story I meant to tell you in this post, then I’ll just have to write some more. Saurus did (lovingly) tell me I looked like a fat turtle when I was trying to get out of bed this morning but I’m pretty sure that wasn’t it. Although fingers crossed for having a baby this week instead of baking and writing. If I were a betting woman, though, my money would be on more baking and less baby. The odds are not in my favor for having on-time, normal-sized children. It’s probably the brownies.
- 1 C pure cane sugar
- 1/2 C light corn syrup
- 4 oz unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 3/4 C heavy cream
- 1/4 C bourbon
- 1/2C pecans, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- 6 pieces of bacon, cooked and chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- box brownie mix*
- water/oil/egg as needed for mix
- candy thermometer
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, butter, and cream over med-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Then reduce heat until it's bubbling but not bubbling over (medium-ish).
- Stir occasionally until caramel sauce reaches 255F (hard ball stage).
- Remove from heat and stir in bourbon, bacon, and pecans until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Make brownie mix according to package directions and pour half of the batter in a greased 9x9 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, then remove from oven, top with caramel mixture and remaining brownie mix and return to oven
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or center of brownie mix bounces back when touched (or however you like your brownies)
- Garnish with extra bacon and pecan pieces. And maybe some chocolate chips. And maybe some extra caramel sauce, if you're feeling fancy.
- Allow to cool before cutting. Or just go straight for the spoon and warm brownie goo. You won't regret it.
- *I'm OBSESSED with the Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate one - I think they taste 100 times better than homemade and it includes chocolate chips....just saying...