I’m always on the hunt for new favorite kinds of easy weeknight recipes. Because I’m busy. We all are. And by the time we get home from work, everyone is starving. But we also get tired of eating frozen pizza so I try to branch out a little and find some recipes that are easy enough for weeknights and toddler-approved. Chicken pot pie is one of the kids’ favorites and I pretty much only cook in my cast iron skillet these days.
Me: Alright, y’all, this is going to be extra yummy.
Saurus: I don’t know.
Me: It is! It has all of your favorite things in it. And I’m making a special cheesy crust.
Saurus: NO! I don’t want cheesy crust!
Me: What? Have you been replaced by an alien? You live on cheese. You love cheese.
Saurus: But I don’t want the chicken pot pie with the cheese. I want the regular kind.
Me: Why? This is better.
Saurus: I don’t know. It’s just different. I want it the same.
Me: Human nature at its finest.
Saurus: I guess I’ll try.
Me: Yup. Or you’ll be hungry.
This is the part of the story where I made my family wait an extra 15 minutes for dinner while I took these photographs, the little fox knocked over my lights and in my rush to get him out of the shattered glass, his head collided with my windpipe and I couldn’t talk or breathe right for 3 days.
Also, everyone loved it. Cheese crust and all.
- 1 3/4 C flour + more for rolling crust
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 C butter, cold
- 1/4 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 C ice water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 can fire roasted corn
- 2 tsp chicken broth base
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 C water
- 1 egg, beaten
- Combine flour and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly and all of the crumbs are smaller than peas. Stir in cheese.
- Gradually stir in water until mixture comes together and can be formed into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, red pepper, and celery and sauté until softened (about 7 min) and beginning to brown.
- Add chicken, corn, chicken broth base, cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir well until spices are well-mixed into the vegetables and chicken.
- Stir in cream of chicken soup and water and mix well.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer while you roll out the pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Roll out crust to a size big enough to be able to cover the skillet with about 1" overhanging the edge. I prefer really thick crust so chose to braid mine, giving it almost a double layer, but that's really not required.
- Remove skillet from stove and lay crust across filling. Crimp the edges (don't burn yourself!) If you don't do a lattice or braided crust, cut slits in the crust to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the top of the crust with the beaten egg.
- Bake at 375F for 20ish minutes or until crust is golden. Your filling is already cooked so really all you're doing is cooking the crust.
- Top with cilantro, avocado, and diced tomatoes. And Cholula, if you're Husband.