We’ve been trying to teach Saurus about healthy foods and giving your body proper fuel. Because if left to his own devices, that kid would eat pure sugar. Not that I blame him, really. Apparently our hard work has paid off:
Me: Saurus, want pb&j for lunch?
Saurus: Ummmm…not really. Can I have a salad or something like that?
Me: I’m sorry, has my son been replaced by aliens?
Saurus: No, Mom. I just want to be healthy. Could I have chicken or steak or somefink heathly like that?
Me: Why yes, yes you can.
Saurus: And then a treat?
Me: Aha! And he’s back!
Saurus: Just a little yummy somefink?
Me: Fo sho dude. But let’s not make it a habit. That’s being healthy too.
And that is the story of my latest lie to my kid. Cupcakes are totally a habit in this house. Because I love baking. Especially when I can quickly whip up something that looks fancy and makes everyone happy. One of my favorite ways to make a fun and fancy cupcake quickly is to take a box mix and sub out the liquid for something. In this case that something was the Grand Cru from Southern Pines Brewing Company. And then fill it with dulce de leche from a can. Ummmm….Yes.
- Grand Cru Cupcakes:*
- 1 box French Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1/2 C oil
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 C grand cru beer
- 1 can dulce de leche
- 1/2 C butter, room temperature
- 3 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 1/3 C grand cru
- 1/3 C dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Make cupcakes according to directions on box, substituting grand cru for water in recipe.
- After cupcakes have cooled, remove the centers and fill with dulche de leche
- Beat butter, cream cheese, and vanilla together until fluffy.
- Sift in powdered sugar until fluffy again.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate chips in 30-second increments. Stir between each and keep going until chocolate is all melted and smooth. Stir grand cru into melted chocolate.
- Pour melted chocolate slowly into frosting and beat until completely combined.
- Pipe onto cooled and filled cupcakes and top with gold sanding sugar
- *follow ingredients on box if different from these, just substitute grand cru for water