Me: When we build our dream house, I want to soundproof it so the world can’t hear our children throwing tantrums
Husband: If it’s a dream house, it won’t have any tantrum-throwing children, will it?
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C buttermilk
- 2 tsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Whisk together the flour, powdered sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk in the buttermilk, mayonnaise, vanilla and egg yolks until smooth. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in the chilled bowl of a stand mixer on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the batter, bit by bit, just until combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Spray the a medium-sized ring mold with cooking spray and place in a non-stick skillet.
- Fill each mold halfway with batter.
- Cover the skillet and cook over medium-low heat until the batter rises to the top of the mold.
- Carefully flip them over (tongs + spatula usually works). Cover and cook again until golden.
- Transfer to a plate, remove the rings, drown it in butter and syrup, and enjoy the pancakes of your dreams.
- Yes, you read this right. They have mayonnaise in them. You can't tell at all once it cooks. Trust me on this one, as someone who loves pancakes and hates mayo.
- You'll need some circular molds for these. We use large, circular cookie cutters, but a DIY version with waxed cardboard and a stapler works too.