Here’s what’s been happening in/around/away from the farmhouse lately:
The Saurus is getting ready to double his age in a few days and we’re looking forward to a little party at home and a big suprise here on the blog. (It starts with a “g” and rhymes with schmivaway. But don’t tell anyone because it’s a surprise and everything.)
I was asked to make my vanilla porter cupcakes for a local brewery as part of a tasting flight and I had so much fun and didn’t poison anyone – look for more collaborations and tap room events with double barley in the future!
It decided to actually be winter here so naturally the heat and the electric dog fence went out that week and neither Husband nor I were home. Figures.
I got instagram which I’m still unsure about but it gives me more things to do while I wait at dental appointments and the DMV. (@chuckandwelly)
I’ve given up on meal planning entirely and we now eat frozen pizzas and applesauce on a semi-regular basis.
Husband and I are embarking on a grand tour d’europe in a couple of weeks. I’m packing only clothes that allow room for copious amounts of croissants and cappuccino.
I’ve become a member of the 2015 writing team at A Night Owl Blog and can’t wait to start writing with other moms who stay up all night putting sprinkles on cupcakes.
And I made these melt-in-your-mouth lemon cookies, which everyone loves dearly.
- 1 C shortening
- 3/4 C pure cane brown sugar
- 3/4 C pure cane white sugar
- zest and juice of two lemons
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 C white chocolate baking chips
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cream together butter, sugars, and lemon juice.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Gradually stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Stir in white chocolate chips and lemon zest.
- Roll into ping pong-sized balls and roll in powdered sugar. Place on parchment-covered cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Let these amazing bits of heaven melt in your mouth.