This weekend my plans consisted of spending a little time on the beach, day drinking on that one Irish holiday, and sleeping. I’m not a big drinker, so I was looking forward to my semi-annual adult beverage. Also I was only one paper away from spring break One measly paper. What actually happened was: Husband got sick and it took me 14 hours to write that paper, effectively annihilating my plans. Distressed at missing out on drinking, I decided to bake instead. With alcohol. Because it was adult beverage day, dang it! Part of it even missed my mouth and made it into the cookies.
Also, I may or may not have finished that drink yet. Check for spelling errors. Anyway, I figured that alcohol and chocolate has never steered me wrong before, so why not channel that awesome into a cookie? I was right. Or at least Husband said so. My tummy doesn’t approve of this much awesome.
drunken chocolate cookies
adapted from Geni at sweetandcrumby.com
makes 32 cookies
1/2 C shortening
3tsp water (this is important if you bake with shortening. if you use butter, omit water)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 C pure cane white sugar
3/4 C pure cane brown sugar
6 Tbsp Bailey’s Irish Cream
1 packet instant coffee (this might be 2tsp?) I used the Starbucks via since we had some on hand.
2 C flour
1/3 C cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 C white baking chips
1 C semisweet baking chips
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In a large bowl,blend shortening, water, vanilla, and sugars until creamy.
3. In small bowl, microwave Bailey’s for 30-45 seconds or until warm. Stir in instant coffee until completely dissolved. Combine with step 1.
4. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each.
5. Gradually stir in flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt until well mixed.
6. Fold in white baking chips.
7. Melt 1 C semisweet baking chips and set aside.
8. Drop spoonfuls onto baking sheet and bake at 350 for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle melted chocolate on top. Or just put a spoonful if you’re a poor drizzler. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
9. Move to wire rack to cool. Pour yourself some more Bailey’s with a little splash of coffee. Or maybe the other way around. I never can remember…Either way, prepare to have a chocolate attack. I feel like maybe I should rename these PMS cookies…