Saurus, every 5 minutes:
“SANTA CLAUS IS-A COMIN UPANDDOWN THE CHIMNEY!”
“Stay-a up Santa!”
“See Rudolph the red nose!”
“Rudolph pullin’ the sleigh!”
“Oh, Christmas Tree!”
“Hippy Dirty [Happy Birthday] God-does-the-rainbow”
“Mama, take-a picture Saurus wait for Santa right here on da ground” (see photo)
I think this small one definitely got his love of Christmas from his mama. I’ll take it. He also got his love of making cookies from me, and the love of eating them from his dad. Poor kid. At least he has the cheeks to be able to handle it.
Just in time for Christmas, Saurus and I made these peppermint Oreo cookies this morning. And then ate pretty much all of them. This recipe is easy enough that a toddler boy with the attention span of…well, a toddler boy…can do it. And quick enough that you can decide to make them 30 minutes before yoga class and still make it just barely on time to sweat to death in the 90 minutes of torture they call “yoga”. But then you can come home and eat more cookies. Theoretically. Not saying I’ve tried this or anything….
peppermint oreo cookies
Write a review
- 1 C shortening
- 6 tsp water
- 3/4 C packed brown sugar
- 1/4 C pure cane white sugar
- 1 (4.2 oz) pkg Oreo instant pudding
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1/2 C white chocolate chips
- 1/3 C peppermint bits
- 1 pkg winter Oreos (half is for the recipe, half is for you to eat)
- Open the Oreos. Eat an Oreo. Wonder how on earth they make these cookies so. good.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In mixing bowl, blend shortening, water, and sugars until creamy.
- Add pudding and mix well.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Keep mixing.
- Slowly add flour, baking soda, and salt. Combine well.
- Crunch up about half a package of winter Oreos (or whatever you haven't eaten yet) and fold it into the batter along with the white chocolate chips and peppermint bits.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. As always, take them out, just before they look done and let them rest on the pan for about 2 minutes.
- Get to that yoga class.